MILLBURY, Mass.- Aquarion Water Company, Millbury's main water provider, is putting mandatory water restrictions in place starting on May 1.
Under the restrictions, nonessential outdoor water use is not allowed between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Nonessential water use consists of irrigation of lawns via sprinklers and automatic irrigation systems; washing of vehicles; and washing of exterior building surfaces, parking lots, and driveways. Outdoor water usage with hand-held hose is allowed.
Outdoor water use is only allowed between 5 p.m. and 9 a.m. on an odd/even water schedule with odd numbered street addresses allowed to water on odd numbered days and even numbered street addresses allowed to water on even numbered days.
Under Aquarion's Rules and Regulations approved by the Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities, failure to comply with the mandatory restrictions will ñrst result in a written warning.
Subsequent violations can result in the discontinuance of water service with a termination and restoration fee.
"Rainfall this year is significantly below average" said Michelle Desorcy, Aquarion Manager of Operations. "The restrictions will help ensure a sustainable drinking water supply and protect natural resources and streamflow' for aquatic life."
Aquarion recommends several ways to use water wisely inside the home to help in the water conservation effort:
- Repair all leaks including checking your toilet for leaks by placing a few dropsof food coloring in the tank; if the color shows up in the bowl, the tank mechanism needs repair.
- Install watersavìng shower heads and low-flow faucet aerators.
- Tum off the water while shaving, brushing your teeth and washing your face or hands.
- Use brooms or blowers, instead of water, to clean decks. driveways and sidewalks.
- Allow grass to grow longer taller grass shades itself, is healthier and requires less water.
Aquarion Water Company of Massachusetts. an Aquarion subsidiary, is the public water supply company for some 18,500 homes and businesses, including Millbury, Oxford, Hingham, Hull, and North Cohasset.
For additional information and conservation tips call the Aquarion Water Company Customer Service Department at l-800-928-3734, or visit www.aguarionwater.com